<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://ilovethisandthat.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
I Love This and That: My Ouma Geline's Guava tart

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Ouma Geline's Guava tart


I inherited my ouma Geline's handwritten cook book... very special to me.  She spent loads of time in the kitchen and was always known for her cooking and baking and keeping everyone's tummy's full.  I remember in the kitchen there was always bottled guava's and goodies, tins with rusks and cookies... a few recipe's I'll still share.  






One of her favorites to make for tea time was this guava tart.  I decided to make it after my mother sent me a whole carry bag of guava's from the farm. :-)





So I first peeled and halved the fresh guavas, and then quickly boiled them in a water and  sugar syrup, ready for the tart.





FYI:
A single common guava (P. guajava) fruit contains about four times the amount of vitamin C as an orange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guava)   

Serves: about 12 
Tart pan: 30x20x5 cm
Making time: 20 - 30 min
Setting time: at least 3 hours

What you need:
1 swiss roll
1 tin guava’s (825g)
60 ml custard powder
60 ml water

1 tin of condensed milk
250 ml smooth cottage cheese
125 ml lemon juice
25 ml red jelly
250 ml cream  (optional)
5 ml vanilla essence (optional)
Castor sugar (optional)


Cut the Swiss roll into thick slices, and arrange in the tart pan (about 30x20x5).





Mash the guavas with its juice in a saucepan and bring to boil for about 3 min.  Then mix the custard powder with the water and add it to the guava’s, boil for another minute or so, and spread the hot guava mix over the Swiss roll, and allow to cool down.





Beat the condensed milk, cottage cheese, jelly and lemon juice and spread over the guava layer.

Put in refrigerator to set.





When serving, whip the cream, castor sugar and vanilla essence together and serve a dollop with the tart, add a mint leave or lavender for a finishing touch.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home